Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Battle of Lake Erie - More Thoughts

A few additional ramblings about the Lake Erie project....

Found a cheap copy of Wooden Ships & Iron Men on ebay today, so I will be set with the rules.  I am hoping there is enough explanation of ships ratings that will allow me to extrapolate rigging, crew, and hull numbers, plus I needed a copy of the rules and charts anyway.  I've always liked WS&IM, but for smaller ships it loses something, so changing the gun weight factor from 100 to 25 will give the smaller vessels at Lake Erie some representation.

Years ago I picked up a vinyl Chessex Megamat with 1" hexes for a low price.  I've never used it, but now it will serve as a perfect gaming space.  The Warbases tokens I have ordered for use as bases are 40mm in length, which will be ideal for the 1" hexes (two being 50mm), without cramming the ships together when they are at close quarters.

After years I am FINALLY getting this project moving forward!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a cool project. I'm looking forward to seeing the ships and the battle. There's more to Ohio history than meets the eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to see how you do with this project. My own 1812 naval project could use some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received my etched bases from Warbases. I'll put together a post that will include a few pictures. They did a nice job on them.

      Delete
  3. Indeed there is, including the worst defeat of a United States army by Indians!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...