Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Dade Battle - First Steps


Well, after many years of contemplating a Second Seminole War project, I have "pulled the trigger" and ordered up a batch (and a bunch) of the FreiKorps 15 figures for the period.  I say a bunch, because while the Dade Battle was small in size, I have decided to go 1:1 in figure to actual combatant scale, which means painting up nearly three hundred figures, along with a six-pound gun and limber, which for me is quite an undertaking!  This is the list of packs I have on the way:

Code   Description
SM01  Seminole Warriors (includes escaped slaves) – 23 packs
SM02  Seminole Command – 1 pack
SM03  Early US Regular Infantry, Jacket, Advancing – 7 packs
SM04  Early US Regular Infantry, Shirt, Charging – 7 packs
SM05  Early US Regular Infantry Command – 2 packs
SM10  Early US Artillery Crew – 1 pack
SM11  6pdr Gun – 1 pack
SM12  US Limber, 6 Horse Team and Two Men – 1 pack
SM15  US Mounted Colonels – 1 pack


For mounting the figures, for the Seminoles I plan on using the Litko horde movement trays, and for the U.S. forces the Litko rank movement trays, both styles with 20mm circles as I will be using pennies to mount the figures, seeing as I have plenty of pennies lying about, and the figures need a nice weighty base to keep them in place on the movement tray.  While the Seminoles did not operate like a horde, their irregular formations should be well represented by the horde tray.

For rules, I have some rough ideas, but nothing set.  Brother Against Brother might be a good choice, as players can run a few small groups of figures without getting bogged down (no pun intended) with too much minutia.  There is also Eric Burgess's Seminole Wars, which look interesting, but very card driven, which can mean that one player is active while the others are waiting around to get into the game.  I would be interested in hearing suggestions about rules from folks who have read this particular post.

4 comments:

  1. I've been doing 15mm 2SW for a few years now. Started with the Freikorps minis but have modified a lot and started using several Blue Moon Texas Revolution minis. They are a bit bigger, but this is a skirmishing kind of war so you really won't have many formal lines of battles that would make any scale obvious. I use the toofatlardies Sharp Practice with a slight mod I did several years ago in the 2009 Summer Special:
    http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=67

    What I like about Sharp Practice is that it really conveys the skirmish aspect of the conflict with a realistic morale and casualty system and can certainly be fine tuned to any specific situation. Its card based but I have never had anyone complain about sitting around and doing nothing in the dozens of games I've run or played. It is so much better than the B v B games I played. Some of the games I've done:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/6mmgaming/sets/72157621996598507
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/6mmgaming/sets/72157621660541675
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/6mmgaming/sets/72157650693524989
    The last one was with a couple of extremely new historical gamers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent stuff as always, and thanks for the suggestions for Sharp Practice. I will have to take a closer look at them as well as your mods. Fantastic pics of your games!

      Delete
  2. I use the Brother Against Brother Rules (With a couple of house rules for the Seminole period) for all of my 28mm Seminole War games.

    David G.
    www.gamerarchitect.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David - I have played Brother Against Brother, some years ago. Might have to give that another look as well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...